- Piglet diarrhoea is a widespread and significant challenge for producers and is associated with a negative impact on piglet health and performance.
- Piglets suffering from diarrhoea and supplemented with Orego-Stim had lower mortality and greater bodyweight at weaning than those treated with antibiotics.
- Orego-Stim is a natural solution which has been shown to help reduce the impact of diarrhoea on piglet health and performance in the absence of antibiotics.
- Increasing the growth rate of piglets prior to weaning has a marked positive effect on lifetime performance (Mahan and Lepine, 1991).
- Piglet diarrhoea is one of the most widespread and significant challenges for producers and is accountable for high morbidity and mortality. It is caused by a wide range of pathogens and can have a negative impact on average daily gain and growth performance.
- Natural oregano essential oil offers well-documented benefits, including antimicrobial action as well as supporting an increased gut cell turnover, which helps to maintain optimal gut health and repair.
- Orego-Stim is a consistent, high quality eubiotic containing 100% natural oregano essential oil.
A commercial trial was undertaken to assess the efficacy of Orego-Stim in helping to reduce the incidence of piglet diarrhoea. Suckling piglets from 0-30 days of age were allocated to either a control (CON) group; in which all piglets with signs of diarrhoea were treated with routine medication, or an Orego-Stim (OS) group; in which piglets suffering from diarrhoea were given 2ml of OS Liquid (diluted at a 1:3 ratio) every 12 hours. Mortality and body weight were recorded at the end of the trial at 30 days of age.
- Piglets from the OS group had a 53% lower average mortality rate than piglets from the control group treated with routine antibiotics (Figure 1).
- OS supplemented piglets had a 10% greater bodyweight at 30 days compared to the control group (Figure 2), with piglets from the OS group weighing 820g more on average than control piglets.
- Orego-Stim is a natural solution which has been shown to support good gut health and help reduce the impact of diarrhoea in the absence of antibiotics.