Developed to manage intestinal health, support optimum gut integrity and performance, Orego-Stim is a 100% natural oregano essential oil feed additive available in both powder and liquid formulations as well as a formulation for top dress to the daily sow ration.
Orego-Stim has been shown to have anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial, anti-oxidant and immunomodulatory effects and is suitable for use in organic production. Packaged in unique foil packaging to ensure long shelf-life, Orego-Stim’s quality and consistency are guaranteed.
In trials Orego-Stim has been shown to:
- Improve Number of Piglets Weaned Through Maternal Feeding
- Provide an Effective Alternative to Zinc Oxide in Piglets Post-Weaning
- Improve Sow and Progeny Growth Performance and Health
Orego-Stim Supports Progeny Growth Performance and Health in the Absence of Zinc Oxide
- This trial showed that Orego-Stim® is able to support sow lactation performance and piglet weaning weights on a commercial farm.
- Piglets offered Orego-Stim supplemented creep feed demonstrated improved growth performance post weaning compared to control piglets fed diets with zinc oxide.
- The suckling period is a critical time in the piglet’s life for the acquisition of a healthy gut microbiota, necessary for the development of digestive function, gut barrier protection and immune development.
- This work is part of the Anpario’s 4R’s approach (Review, Reduce and Replace antimicrobials Responsibly)
- Orego-Stim is a high quality, eubiotic containing 100% natural oregano oil.
- Zinc is routinely used to control post-weaning scours but has been linked to environmental pollution and antibiotic resistance in some bacteria, such as MRSA. (Yazdankhah et al., 2014).
- The European commission has banned pharmacological levels of zinc (>150ppm) in piglet diets by June 2022.
Anpario conducted a randomised blinded trial managed by a feed integrator on an Irish commercial herd. Eighty multiparous sows across two batches were randomly allocated to either the control group or Orego-Stim (OS) supplemented group, with OS top dressed to diets daily at an equivalent rate of 1kg/t, from 3 days prior to farrowing until weaning. All piglets were weighed at birth and any cross-fostering was carried out within treatment groups to fill to teat number within 24 hrs. Piglets were provided creep feed from day 10 and weaned ~26 days, diets either included zinc oxide (Control) at 3.1 kg/t, or OS at 1 kg/t. See Annex 1 for trial design.
|Figure 1. Piglet average weaning weight and weight at the end of the nursery period (kg).||Figure 2. Piglet pre-weaning mortalities for starvation and scour (% of total mortalities per group).|
- Piglets from the OS group had an improved average daily weight gain from birth to weaning, with a greater body weight at weaning by approximately 0.49kg (Fig. 1), and continued performance to the end of the nursery period with an increase of 0.58kg.
- Piglets from OS litters had a reduced incidence of mortality pre-weaning, with less piglets showing signs of starvation or scour.
- Sows receiving OS maintained a similar body condition score (BCS) to the control sows but lost ~10kg less body weight over the lactation period.
- Orego-Stim has been shown to support sow lactation performance and provides a suitable natural alternative to zinc oxide in this trial.
Annex 1 – Trial Design
- Quality Guaranteed
From Process to Product
The natural Oregano Essential Oil (OEO) in Orego-Stim is extracted from Anpario’s exclusive oregano strain, cultivated organically in central Europe. From point of harvest through the unique extraction method and onward production processes, we protect the active properties in the natural oil to ensure a high-quality product every time.
(click to enlarge image)
Anpario take quality very seriously and testing starts before plants are harvested. Samples are taken from the crop to determine the levels of the main active ingredients, carvacrol, ρ-cymene and thymol, and at exactly the right time, the plants are harvested and brought to the distillery for oil extraction by steam distillation.
Anpario’s procedures of regular and routine testing of our oregano oil is essential and ensures that the Orego-Stim you buy is the same every time, avoiding undesirable variability.
Processing and manufacture
Significant research and expertise underpins the manufacture of the Orego-Stim product range, available in powder or liquid form.
Specially selected mineral carriers ensure a free-flowing and homogenous finished powder product. This is vital to any manufacturing process to allow even dispersion in the final feed. Orego-Stim Powder is then packed into foil bags and sealed to maintain the freshness over the two year shelf life. The selection of emulsifier and unique manufacturing process ensures our liquid formulation disperses easily and thoroughly in water for easy application.
Orego-Stim is unique as only the natural whole oil is used.
Orego-stim contains naturally occurring compounds which work in synergy to offer several well-documented properties and functions of OEO.
Natural Whole Oil
Consistency in every batch
Oregano Essential Oil used to produce Orego-Stim consists of 100+ naturally occurring active compounds, frequent monitoring ensures consistent quality batch after batch, which is vital to ensure product performance.
- Related Trials
Key Orego-Stim Trials in Swine: