The Optomega Range
The Optomega Range of powdered supplements provide a rich source of omega-3 fatty acids, including biologically important eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA). The omega-3 fatty acids are blended onto specially selected carriers to ensure a free flowing, easy to use finished product and are packaged in Anpario’s unique foil-lined bags to ensure freshness and long shelf life of every batch.
The range has been developed to support breeding animals. EPA and DHA are well documented to support establishment and maintenance of pregnancy, as well as providing a highly digestible energy source, helping to maintain energy balance and support optimal lactation performance.
Benefits of the Optomega Range:
- Supports the establishment and maintenance of pregnancy, to help obtain higher conception rates.
- In turn this may reduce involuntary culling rates.
- Supports mammary gland development.
- Helps to optimise milk yields.
- Enhances levels of omega-3 in milk for human consumption.
- Supports the animal’s natural defences, ensuring optimal performance.
Sustainable fish or algae sources of omega-3 fatty acids are available.
Protect Your Investment with Optomega
Support Milk Yields
- Enhancing Fertility in High Yielding Dairy Cows
Reproductive failure is a major cause of involuntally culling in dairy herds. This is a major drain on the profitability of the global dairy industry and effective nutritional supplementation with omega-3 fatty acids has been shown to support fertility of the dairy herd.
A recent trial carried out by the University of California Davis demonstrated significant, positive results with Optomega supplementation, even in a high yielding dairy herd producing more than 50 kg of milk/cow/day. Cows were artifically inseminated following a double-OvSync programme for 1st service and, if unsuccessful, a single-OvSync protocol for second service.
- Conception rate to 1st service was unaffected, though already very high using the double-OvSynch protocol.
- Conception to 2nd service was increased from 39.5% to 49.1%.
- Overall there was an 18% increase in the likelihood of a cow becoming pregnant to 2nd service.
- Omega-3 Enriched Milk and Enhancing Milk Quality
Dairy products have been widely criticised for being a source of “unhealthy” saturated fats in human diets, despite also being a good source of naturally occurring, healthy fatty acids, such as conjugated linoleic acid (CLA). Increasing the proportion of healthy fats, such as CLA and the omega-3 fatty acids EPA and DHA, in human diets has been associated with reduced blood pressure and a lower risk of heart attacks.
The inclusion of Optomega in dairy rations increased the beneficial fatty acid composition of the milk whilst reducing omega-6: omega-3 ratio and saturated: unsaturated fats ratio. Overall, the supplementation of Optomega improved the “Health-Promoting Index” of the milk.
- Helping to Reduce Methane Output in Dairy Cows
An in vitro study was carried out by the University of Reading in conjunction with Anpario to assess the effect of the Optomega Range on gas and methane production when supplemented in the dairy herd ration.
The results of the trial showed that in addition to the main fertility benefits associated with supplementation, both Optomega products helped to lower cumulative gas production over a 24-hour period.
Compared to Control Diets:
Read more about these trials by clicking the links below:
Trial Summary – The Effect of Optomega Plus on Methane Output in Dairy Cows
Trial Summary – The Effect of Optomega Algae on Methane Output in Dairy Cows
Inclusion Rates for the Optomega Range
For more information please contact us directly by completing the form below and one of the team will be in touch.