- In the feedmill, formic acid is now classified as a bacterial decontaminating agent (including, but not limited to Salmonella) to improve feed hygiene (Feed Additive Register 2017/940).
- Salgard helps control levels of potentially harmful bacteria that may be present in the feed or raw material and can impair animal performance.
- Salgard is part of Anpario’s Acid Based Eubiotics (ABE) range and is a blend of pure liquid formic and propionic acids on a unique mineral carrier delivery system; chosen to ensure maximum efficacy during feed manufacture and throughout the gastrointestinal tract (GIT).
- This trial was conducted to assess the level of bacterial inhibition in finished feed.
An independent laboratory based trial was conducted at Abbott Analytical, UK to test the antibacterial efficacy of Salgard. Five inclusion rates of Salgard were assessed; 0 (control), 2, 4, 8 and 12 kg/t were added to a standard commercial layer mash. This was then artificially contaminated with three significant potentially pathogenic bacteria and incubated at 36°C ± 1°C for a designated time period. Bacterial counts (cfu/g) were measured at 4, 24, 48 and 72 hours. The full study methodology is available upon request.
Salgard antibacterial efficacy after 4-hours
Salgard antibacterial efficacy after 24-hours
Salgard antibacterial efficacy after 48-hours
Salgard antibacterial efficacy after 72-hours
- The inclusion of Salgard required for effective bacterial decontamination is related to the microbial load, therefore regular microanalysis of raw materials is recommended.
- Salgard is effective in controlling bacterial activity in finished feed with a preservative action.
- Salgard can help control levels of bacteria that negatively affect animal performance.
Minimum Salgard inclusion and time required to obtain for log 2 reduction (95% reduction).
|Bacteria||4 hours||24 hours||48 hours||72 hours|
|Salmonella Enteritidis||N/A||N/A||12 kg/t||12 kg/t|
|Enterobacter cloacae||N/A||4 kg/t||4 kg/t||4 kg/t|
|Escherichia coli||8 kg/t||8 kg/t||8 kg/t||8 kg/t|