- Mould growth in forage, feed and bedding on farm, pre- and post-harvest, is a common problem that results in loss of nutrients, reduced feed intake and production of secondary fungal metabolites (mycotoxins).
- Mycotoxins can cause liver damage, immunosuppression and increase susceptibility to diseases.
- Anpro is a cost effective, broad spectrum mycotoxin management tool, even at low inclusion levels.
- Mycotoxins are produced by moulds and can be present on farm forages, as well as processed bedding and feed, even in the absence of visible spoilage.
- Mycotoxicosis in poultry can cause reduced feed intake and retarded growth, which can ultimately lead to high economic losses.
- In dairy cows, mycotoxins can cause infertility, increased mastitis rates, reduced feed intake and reduced milk production, leading to economic loss.
Anpario conducted a blind trial with Alimetrics, Finland, to assess the efficacy of Anpro compared with other commercially available mycotoxin binders sourced from feedmills in the USA and EU. The ability of each product to bind 6 key mycotoxins (DON, ZEA, T-2, OTA, Fum B1, Afl B1) was tested at different dose rates (0.5, 2.5, 5 g/kg) and at different pH’s (2.5, 6.5) to simulate different gut conditions.
Bars joined by red lines are not significantly different P>0.05.
Error bars are the SEM of the total bound content.
Fig 1. Mycotoxin binding capacity of different commercial products at pH 6.5 (Alimetrics, Finland, 2018)
- Anpro bound significantly more toxins overall, at both pH 2.5 and pH 6.5.
- Anpro was as effective as some products which were given at 5 – 10 times higher inclusion rates.
- This study demonstrated that Anpro is an essential, advanced, broad spectrum, mycotoxin management tool, which provides maximum protection for high performing livestock.