- Shrimp hatcheries commonly use probiotics in feed and water.
- Including Salgard Liquid in shrimp feed improved feed efficiency and survivability of shrimp larvae in the absence of probiotics.
- Supplementing shrimp diets with Salgard Liquid reduced production costs by up to 32% compared to commercially available probiotics and by 12% compared to the control diet.
- Salgard Liquid is comprised of formic and propionic acids buffered onto a liquid carrier system and supports optimal feed and water hygiene.
COMMERCIAL STUDY DESIGN
A commercial study was conducted at a large shrimp hatchery in Mexico over a 14-day period to assess the suitability of Salgard Liquid in supporting shrimp larvae health and performance in the absence of probiotics. Four raceways were stocked with shrimp larvae and offered 1 of 4 diets. The 4 dietary groups were as follows; a control group fed a standard diet with no probiotics or additives; a group fed the standard diet supplemented with a commercially available probiotic (P1), a group fed the standard diet supplemented with a different commercially available probiotic (P2) and a group fed the standard diet supplemented with Salgard Liquid at 5 L/tonne of feed for 14 days. Shrimp larvae were not specifically challenged and observed mortality occurred under standard production conditions. Shrimp larvae weight, total raceway biomass, feed efficiency and survivability were assessed and results were averaged.
The addition of Salgard Liquid to shrimp larvae diets for 14 days resulted in:
- A 59% improvement in final larvae weight compared to the control group.
- A 21% improvement in total raceway biomass weight compared to the control group.
- A 51% and 24% increase in survivability compared to P1 and P2 respectively (Figure 1).
- A 32%, 16% and 12% improvement in feed efficiency compared to P1, P2 and the control respectively (Figure 2).
- A 32%, 16%, 12% reduction in production costs compared to P1, P2 and the control respectively (Figure 3).
The study demonstrates that Salgard Liquid is a cost-effective solution to help maintain and support optimal shrimp larvae health and performance in the absence of probiotics, whilst maximising profitability.
Disclaimer: No performance guarantee is offered. All observations noted in this document were provided by the customer.