- Salgard Liquid in tilapia feed improves tilapia growth and survival, resulting in an ROI of 13.6:1 (US $0.25 per fish).
- Salgard Liquid is comprised of formic and propionic acids buffered onto a liquid carrier system and promotes optimal feed and water hygiene.
COMMERCIAL STUDY DESIGN
A commercial study was conducted with a commercial tilapia farm in Mexico in which Salgard Liquid was included in the tilapia feed. The study compared growth performance between a negative control group and a Salgard Liquid treatment group (Salgard Liquid at 1L per tonne of feed over a 25 week period). Both groups were fed at the same time points, water quality was measured throughout the study, starting weights were the same at 1.1g per fish, and the initial stocking density was the same at 5,085 fish per group. Fish were stocked one week before the start of the study to allow for acclimatization. Feed intake, growth rate and mortality were measured and the Specific Growth Rate (SGR) and Feed Conversion Ratio (FCR) were calculated.
The addition of Salgard Liquid to tilapia feed resulted in:
- A 13% improvement in final fish weight (Fig. 1).
- A 15% improvement in total pond biomass weight (Fig. 1)
- An improved SGR and FCR (Fig. 2)
- A significantly improved survivability throughout the study (Fig. 3) (Relative risk 1.02, p<0.0001).
- A 15.57% increase in profits for the farm and a final return on investment (ROI) of 13.6:1 (US $0.25 per fish).
The results of the study demonstrated substantial improvements in tilapia performance leading to the farm including Salgard Liquid into their regular diets as standard.