- The growing and rearing stages of laying hen production are critical in ensuring genetic potential is reached during the egg production phase.
- Orego-Stim is a high quality phytogenic eubiotic containing 100% natural oregano oil, and has been shown in previous trials to support gut health and subsequent performance in laying hens.
- In this study, hens fed Orego-Stim during rearing and early lay produced more eggs that were larger and more valuable, had improved liveability, and produced a return on investment of 13.6:1.
COMMERCIAL STUDY DESIGN
A commercial study was conducted from 2020 to 2021 on a farm in ‘Los Altos de Jalisco’; a region with the highest egg production in Mexico, to evaluate the effects of Orego-Stim Powder on hen performance at the beginning of lay.
Two houses of 75,000 Bovans White hens were fed either a basal diet (control), or a basal diet supplemented with Orego-Stim Powder (OS). OS was included in the diet at 500g/t from 13 to 19 weeks of age, followed by 300g/t from 20 to 23 weeks of age. Each group was subject to the same environmental and management conditions.
The addition of Orego-Stim Powder to rearing and laying diets from 13 weeks to 23 weeks of age resulted in:
- An extra 6 whole eggs per hen (Fig. 1)
- 84% greater egg mass
- Earlier start in egg production by 3 weeks
- Heavier eggs produced in early lay (Fig. 2)
- A 25% improvement in egg production
- A 0.14% improvement in liveability
- Improved feed conversion efficiency
- Improved profitability of US $0.56 per hen and a return on investment (ROI) of 13.6:1.
Orego-Stim is a natural solution to help optimise egg production in hens during early lay. Supporting egg production during this period may help hens in achieving their genetic potential during the entire laying cycle.